Mobile App/Web App Development
We build mobile apps for businesses of all types and sizes, for both Apple (iOS) and Android app platforms.
Mobile applications, commonly referred to as apps, are software developed for use on wireless mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets and watches. A web app is a software program that performs a function or set of functions for a client, all exclusively through an internet web browser.
Apps are designed with the limitations and features of mobile devices in mind, in other words, they are designed for a specific operating system, either Apple's iOS or Google's Android platforms. Compared to integrated software systems on computers, a mobile app typically offers specific functionalities to smartphone users.
*Between 2016 and 2022, the number of mobile app downloads worldwide has been increasing constantly from 2016 onward, surpassing 200 billion in 2019. In the most recently measured year, consumers downloaded 255 billion mobile apps to their connected devices, up by more than 80% from 140.7 billion app downloads in 2016.
*(Source: Annual number of global mobile app downloads 2016-2022: Statista.com).
Mobile apps are designed to make the best use of the power and capabilities of mobile devices, which are consistently growing with new advances in software and hardware technology.
What are the key features of a mobile app?
- Delivery of personalised content, special offers, discount codes, etc. to your customer base;
- Mobile apps can work in the background even when there is no internet connection so your customers can still view your products/services at any time even when on the go;
- Provide customers with instant notifications/updates of order processing, delivery status, etc.;
- Promote your company or brand by keeping up to date with online technology trends that you to stay more connected with your customers through their mobile devices;
- Delivery of an enhanced user experience with better features compared to browsing a website or using a web app that is not designed for a specific operating system.
A web app is a software program that performs a function or set of functions for a client, all exclusively through an internet web browser. When accessed in a browser on a mobile device, web apps look and behave like mobile apps but they aren’t the same.
The Pros and Cons of Mobile Apps and Mobile Apps
Mobile App Advantages:
- High-performing: Since they must adhere to standard operating system protocols to be approved by their respective operating system, mobile apps excel in quality, security, and device compatibility.
- Superior UX: Since mobile apps are designed for a specific operating system, they have access to all of the system’s features. That means they can provide more features that meet users’ needs. Users are also likely to have a more seamless experience on mobile apps since they have to adhere to the operating system’s UI standards.
- Support from app marketplace: Mobile apps are supported and distributed by app stores. This can make them easier to discover and boost their downloads.
Mobile App Disadvantages:
- Higher upfront costs: Since mobile apps are specific to a platform and must adhere to the operating system’s protocols and guidelines, mobile apps require a lot of time and experienced developers to build. That means mobile apps will be more expensive upfront than other types of apps.
- Need approval from app marketplace: Since mobile apps adhere to standard operating system protocols, they require approval from an app store. That means app developers like us do not get to decide the format or time that the app is released.
- Manual updates: Since mobile apps are downloaded from an app store, users have to go to the app store to manage their updates. If they don’t update the mobile app when available, they’ll see an out-of-date version when they open the app.
- Difficult to maintain: Because mobile apps are specific to a platform and must adhere to language, protocol, and UI requirements, they can be more difficult to maintain and update.
Advantages of a Web App:
- Platform-Unspecific: Web apps are not built for a specific platform. They can be built for all platforms as long as they can run in a web browser.
- Low upfront costs: Since they aren’t specific to a platform, web apps don’t require a lot of time or developers to build. That means web apps will be less expensive upfront than other types of apps.
- No app marketplace: Since web apps do not adhere to standard operating system protocols, they, therefore, do not require approval from an app store. That means they can be released any time in the chosen format.
- Automatic updates: Since web apps are not downloaded from an app store, users do not have to go to the app store to manage their updates. Users always see the most up-to-date version when they open a web app.
Disadvantages of a Web App:
- Need an internet connection: Since web apps are accessed via browsers, users need to be connected to the internet to use them. That means they can’t work offline, which can frustrate users if they’re having trouble connecting to the internet.
- Poor discoverability: Because web apps are not listed in an app store, they do not get marketed or promoted in that marketplace. That can make it more difficult to gain visibility and user adoption for a web app.
- Less functionality: Web apps have a much smaller scope when it comes to leveraging device features and hardware. Because web apps are not designed for a specific operating system, they don’t have access to that system’s features. That means less functionality than other types of apps.
- Poor UX: Just as web apps do not have to adhere to an operating system’s protocols, they don’t need to adhere to its UI standards either. This makes it more difficult to provide a seamless experience for users.
There are many factors that can influence the cost of an app. Apps vary in level of complexity and so will require different levels of development costs. Other costs such as the fee to appear in Apple's App Store for iOS platforms, and Google's Play Store for Android devices, maintenance, feature improvements and marketing should also be considered when budgeting for app development.
Next step, call us!
We will provide you with a tailored quote based on your requirements so all you need to do at this stage is contact us and we can set up a meeting or phone call to move things forward!
Complete Peace of Mind
We work with all types of small and medium-sized businesses, from accountants, financial advisors, waste water treatment specialists, training providers, to charities, estate agents, clothes shops, gift shops, florists, pet shops, schools, and education centres.
Why Choose IceStar Media?
We will make your website and online systems “do more” and we are committed to doing much more to achieve the best results for our clients. Read all of our 5 star reviews on TrustPilot.
Seran and Mark expertly steered us through setting up our website. They offered plenty of guidance and fully understood what we wanted. Ongoing support has been invaluable and communications are always so upbeat and positive that it never fails to brighten our day – overall a pleasure to deal with.
IceStar Media are an effective company to work with. They have listened, guided, understood the message of the charity, and have created an excellent website. I am very pleased with their efficiency, and ability to promptly respond to questions. I recommend their service
Yvonne Davis MBE
IceStar Media are great to work with. Having worked with IceStar on a number of eCommerce projects for a number of businesses now, I can confidently endorse their quality and commitment to the work they do.
Head of eCommerce, Pantherella Sock Group
Mark’s skills, knowledge and understanding of IT is second to none. His great ability was to understand and develop user requirements and respond to it, providing timely, no fuss, within budget, technology solutions.
Head of Content & Licensing, The Open University
IceStar devised a superb system that underpinned the efficient and effective administration of a large amount of school inspection data, as well as communications, among staff that needed to access it at different levels.
Education Management Professional
IceStar Media has been my website designer of choice for several years. To me, its directors represent all that is good and desirable in talented, creative and service-oriented Internet providers. I look forward to a long and mutually beneficial working partnership for many more years.
Dr Dwain Neil
Chairman Reach Society